Monday 4 March 2013

Stephen Byram Interview

 As part of my personal development, I was asked to seek out professionals within the industry to ask them questions to do with their work. My first chosen contact was Stephen Byram, who we met during our visit to New York last year. I remember admiring his work due to it being so prolific and similar to my own style. I've even used him as reference for the last project.

 For the interview I emailed him five questions in which he very kindly corresponded. Here it is:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2213/2512897228_874a44ceef_z.jpg

1) I remember you discussing your past to the group and that you played bass guitar. Would you consider music to be a main driving force in your style of work?


A) I think I said I aspired to play the bass, but found that I had no aptitude in that direction. I would say that 
music was and is a primary inspiration for the content of my work. My style is something that developed 
(and keeps developing) over many years of hacking away at things employing the stuff I was given to work 
with. I like to think that my approach to art is musical, but since I’m not a musician I can’t say for sure.



2) Seeing your work first-hand, it stemmed in so many directions: from 3D sculptures to abstract painted
canvases. Have you always been experimental in your choice of media or has it developed over time?


A) Yeah, pretty much. I get a lot of satisfaction trying to put things together that may not obviously fit 
together, so experimentation kind of comes with the territory. I also enjoy trying to figure out how to do 
something unfamiliar, as long as I have plenty of time to wrestle with it. I like wandering around in the 
woods and stumbling over something of potential value (in spite of the anxiety this behavior can produce 
- or maybe because of it).



3) I remember you discussing digital interaction within some of your work. Would you say you prefer working digitally or more so hand-rendered?

A) I like both in equal measure, but you have to keep them in balance - too much of either is no good fer ya.



4) I find the compositions on your album covers very interesting and unique. Before composing an image, do you have an idea of what the outcome will look like or do you just play with the imagery to see what randomly unfolds?


Thank you!
I try to delay knowing the outcome as long as possible, the most important part of the process for me is 
the surprise that comes from finding out something that I didn’t know before, or seeing the connection that 
hadn’t occurred to me.
Yes, I love unfolding it randomly.


5) And lastly, your use of line is fantastic and emits total expressionism and punk rock – as well as its composition with the textured background. The lines appear very figurative. What draws you to the profile of the figure?


Again, thank you, that’s quite a compliment.
I basically consider myself a figurative artist in everything I make. I can’t really answer why other than to say 
that I’m compelled to make figures.
I guess that’s where all the action is in life, trying to understand the other and yourself, or vice versa. I need 
to see where I live. You need a good basic structure to riff on, figures be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment