Monday 18 March 2013

Development of the Booklet Covers

 As well as the Pear Mill illustration and the sweet shop animation, we ALSO have to design two pattern-based booklet covers! It seems to be a very busy project. The two covers are themed 'historic wartime' and historic buildings'. For the 'wartime' cover, I came across a photograph of a residential street in Manchester during World War II that had been blitzed:

Blitzed Street in Manchester

 The pattern appeared in my head and I knew what I wanted. The pattern will be a drawn version of this photograph and will be repeated as though a house has exploded every few yards down the endless street. The streets will overlap one another as though they are gradually going up a hill for example. I have started drawing this idea within my sketchbook:



 These are deliberately first drafts, so I'll make sure to put in adequate detail. I will keep the image monochrome to keep with the theme of the war period. Photography during WWII was predominately black and white, so I want it to bear that connotation. The pattern idea for this is well suited as well because terrace houses from above appear as rows and rows and rows of almost infinite (exaggerating) stretches of streets. It emphasises also the fact that the Germans could have dropped a bomb anywhere over the city without knowing where, and it will have destroyed at least something. It must have been such a scary time, especially for young Joyce who had to hide under the staircases in her sweet shop whilst the sirens blazed. I find WWII so fascinating. The fact it occurred during the Twentieth Century still astounds me.

No comments:

Post a Comment