Sunday 6 April 2014

The Ol' Sketchbook

 I began working into another sketchbook to develop on my ideas for what I want to communicate. My mind is working towards producing a contemporary re-envisioning of Brave New World.

 Here are some examples:













 At first I started off a bit side-tracked because I had no particular direction I wanted to go in. I was using quotes from authoritative sources to try and make some guidance. It worked, but it still didn't feel right. My style of work hinders me from narrowing things down, because it appears quite prolific. I decided to choose keywords that would enable some form of positive direction. I chose words that are relevant to Huxley's novel, and they are: isolation, sedation, self-delusion and propaganda. I then decided to add sub-keywords in order to gain more of a solid idea:

Isolation - Alone, sadness, frustration, closed off...
Sedation - Blind, control, daze, suppressed...
Self-delusion - Fear, denial, ignorance, weak...
Propaganda - Power, lies, corruption, exaggeration...

 The use of these words shaped the images above. Negative space is noticeable again (like in my previous work) and the figure too. Again I use a variety of media to allow differences in line technique and colouring, particularly oil pastels. The rawness gives off a coldness and a frustrated sense, which is what I wish to capture. I can't help but compare this work to that of what I produced for The Outsider project, and see it as almost a poor relation. The way I'm working here doesn't seem to be as stimulating as previously thought, and my drawing itself seems to lack quality. I believe I need to conjure up a context for this work soon to prevent disappointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment