Sunday 6 April 2014

The Business Cards, mmm

 Yes, the real world is fast approaching and as students, we are in preparation to promote ourselves and our work. We have been asked to create a website, build a portfolio and handle some business cards. At this stage, it all feels quite daunting because I've never been outside of education my entire life! And now we've all grown up and are expected to know what to do next, which quite frankly I'm not even sure.

 In this revolutionary age of technology, particularly with the influence of the internet, self-promotion seems a much easier process. With our websites, anyone in the world can see them just by clicking a button. An amazing prospect indeed, and a sign that opportunities are absolutely everywhere. This raises my hopes in the midst of all the stress that inevitably comes with acquiring a skilled occupation.

 So here is my card:


 For the front of the card I created my own type, that being the letters spelling my name in large. I used my trademark pen and ink and made smooth but jagged lines. The style of a signature springs to mind with this, like a quick scrawl from a fountain pen. I duplicated two of the letterheads in Photoshop to ensure a professional standard. In composition with the rest of the text, I aligned the right-hand side in correspondence to tip of the last 'h' letterhead from my name. The link to my website is visible in the contact details: joehuish.co.uk

 For the staple image on the back, I decided to choose the large, gaping mouth which I produced in The Outsider project: indeed one of my strongest. It's composition on the page is what propels it to being suitable for the card: shocking, bold and identifiable. It sums up my style of working too, with its method and context.

No comments:

Post a Comment