Monday 4 February 2013

More Penguin Artist Research!

 Here are some more artists I have looked up which I believe can relate to my current work:

Brian Grimwood
Brian Grimwood
 Again the use of line is what I find very interesting. The images are clearly figurative, but they are presented in a mere few strokes of an ink/paint brush. Actually, the lines looks continuous instead of all over the place. Certainly an effective and bold approach to life drawing. This is great influence for my concentration on the subject of women and the female form.

Stephen Byram
 A fine artist and designer we met whilst on our trip to New York late last year and luckily had the chance of interviewing! His work is figurative, yet abstract. The rawness of it attracts my attention the most. Symbolism could be played with here in that the figure portrayed is the protagonist of the story and he is trapped in a cage full of corruption. The protagonist's aim is to reveal the truth: to open the cage.

Jan Lenica
 I found that my style in working can relate to the Polish poster movement with its raw aesthetic. I found this image and it's a definite winner for influence when it comes to a crime drama. The characters portrayed within this storyboard all make obvious connotation with the characters from The Big Sleep. I shall soon experiment these techniques through the process of over layering random imagery together and photocopying them.

'Belleville Rendez-vous'
 This is a brilliant French animated comedy film that I have watched in my spare time. There is no verbal narrative, but its humour lies within its animation style. Everything is exaggerated to the extreme! The male protagonist (a boy that competes in the Tour de France) has exceedingly huge calf muscles that even form their own backsides! The cargo ship that sets sail to New York is ridiculously tall and thin, and the gangsters portrayed here consist of a small mob boss who is protected (almost carried) by two square-shouldered bodyguards, which ends up looking like a three-headed black box. As well as these characteristics, the film's context connotes with The Big Sleep, especially during the New York scenes with the gangsters and cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment