Tuesday 29 January 2013

The Penguin Book Cover

 After the jolly season that was Christmas, we were back in uni and a new brief was set. There were a choice of four briefs, each being a competition. I chose the Penguin/Puffin book cover design one because I really enjoy reading and the chance of my design being on a classic novel is a dream!

 The brief offered two books: The Wind in the Willows and The Big Sleep. I chose the latter due to it being unfamiliar to me and from reading up on it I prefer the subject. So as always, I began researching and creating a 'sense of place' where I collect imagery together to gain connotations and references. I also began reading the book and found it's story to be a first of its kind. It's a crime novel set in 1930's LA and acquires what we see today as typical plot twists. In its day however this sort of story writing must have been very revolutionary. Whilst reading it I notice that it seems almost like watching a film. The culture and time its set in is sure to be rich of imagery.

 Here is an analysis of the story: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/bigsleep/themes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment