Tuesday 29 January 2013

Penguin Artist Research

 I have gathered a few images from artists that are helping build my sense of place. The time and location within The Big Sleep are key for achieving authenticity. Here they are:

Nuno DaCosta
Miminne
 Thinking in context of the era of how things looked, I immediately thought of fashion. As in all stories, people are described from the way they look at first glance. The fashion within the era is extremely recognizable, so that's definitely something to play on. These two artists illustrate fashion in a style similar to my own, with the pen and ink drawings I conjure.

Ceri Amphlett
 This image caught my attention with its raw style and context. From reading the book so far, characters are disappearing mysteriously or either getting themselves killed; maybe even both! This image looks as though the figure is submerged in water. As in a lot of murder cases, bodies can be found in water. In the story they find the chauffeur's car in a lake.

Marisol Escobar
 Again, the fashion aspect applies with this artist too. Male attire in those days was a lot more formal than it is now. This again connotes the time and place: detectives, gangsters, businessmen, etc. Such an interesting and slick time...

Benoit Jacques
 I found this image and it immediately took me to LA. The coastline and palm trees are both connotations. The style too is also what I find influential.

No comments:

Post a Comment