Wednesday 9 January 2013

Joyce and the Sweet Shop!

 After my conversation with Joyce and a group discussion back at college, I realised that the history of her and the sweet shop in which she lived in was perfect in displaying her memories. The memory of her husband, Richard, was a prominent factor also because of the way she described her lost memories of him.

 I began researching images of old sweet shops in the heritage section at Stockport Library. I gathered a lot of imagery and started developing from there. I even went to Stockport Market to buy some classic old English sweets, such as: Black Jacks, acid drops, pear drops, rhubarb and custard and liquorice torpedoes.
 My initial idea for the image was it to be inside the sweet shop concentrating on the jars of sweets stacked along the shelves. Joyce's memories could be displayed in each jar, but I'm not sure I have enough strong memories to put in them. Perhaps just her husband, Richard, and the rest just filled with sweets to give the image more autheticity of an old sweet shop.
 I had a one-to-one with another student, each of us expressing our thoughts on one another's ideas. The other student applauded my idea, but wondered whether I could reduce the jar-stacked shelves and just have the one jar taking up all the space on the page. If I did this then Joyce's husband would most probably be within this single jar. The problem though was how to make the jar appear like a genuine sweet jar without any sweets in it.

 I tried the single jar idea and it came out like this below. It was rushed slightly because I still wavered upon the idea:


 Seeing as it's at rough development stage, I can sympathise with it. The lines used I believe should be bold and better shaped. The sweets should be detailed, individually displaying each sweet. The male figure appears generic also, so perhaps I should make further research into how men dressed in the era Joyce met her husband. Regardless, I believe more sweets and jars would prove more effective. The jar style I drew is how they appeared in the Stockport sweetshops when they sold the Squirrel brand of sweets, so that design will remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment