Monday 8 October 2012

John Kricfaluci (Ren & Stimpy)


































 During the early 90s, The Ren & Stimpy Show alongside many others influenced a lot of the work I produced when I was younger. It's crude humour and grotesque qualities fascinated me as a child. Watching them today, I find it hard to believe I was permitted to view them years ago; as they were hosted on the children's channel, Nickelodeon.

 In terms of influence for this and further projects, I find them very useful and nostalgic. My drawings have always adopted this almost surreal nature, and I find it highly appropriate to use this now seeing as I'm creating an animation.

 The images above are screenshots from the animated show and depict the two characters, Ren & Stimpy. Ren is a psychotic chihuahua and Stimpy is a dimwitted cat. Both conflict in personality, in turn creating a dark humorous double-act. The show consists of them both getting into various chaotic situations that they try to get out of, through torturous difficulty. These narratives will influence my own for the animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment