Sunday 7 April 2013

Assembling Joyce's Animation

 I have now planned the way the animation will proceed and have gained all the elements necessary. The essential part of this animation is the gradual motion of the child's sight looking upon the jars of sweets. I did this using After Effects by placing the entire shop image into frame and zooming in. I adjusted the direction, the flow and the speed using very complicated functions which I can't even remember how. It worked to the way I wanted it though and so that leads onto the next essential part: Richard's figure flicking his hair.
 As Joyce grew up as an adolescent either during the 40's or 50's, Richard in my mind most probably could have been a greaser/rocker-type. Obviously she cannot remember his exact appearance, hence why he appears as a silhouette in the image and animation. But it gives him character regardless and the ability to display animation. What I did to achieve this was redraw him within Photoshop several times. In each drawing, he gradually tilts his head backwards. I would then reverse these drawings back to his original state and then have his hair bounce slightly, just to make his hair feel more real. Here is a representation of what I drew:

 From left to right is the full animation of his head tilting back and forward. It appears subtle, but within the animation it looks better that way, because it's not meant to be completely obvious: more like something you see in the corner of your eye. This movement occurs just before the viewer veers off into the next row of sweets, and of course the double-take happens and instead in the jar are the liquorice sticks. The trick behind that is another After Effects tool that makes something appear in at a desired point within the the frame.
 Another required element which is key for most animations is sound. For this I wanted to get the atmospheric sound of a gathered bunch of excited children within a enclosed space. My original plan was to record children near a playground, but I feared this would be controversial as the only recording equipment I have is a camera. So instead I recorded (with the lid on!) two of my cousins playing together. Seeing as there were only two of them, I recorded a mixture of sounds they made and merged them all together into After Effects. It was a funny experience because they were confused and interested as to what I was doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment